Sunday 23 September 2012

Something Fishy. . . . . . . Swap Card

I was recently involved in a card swap with a small on line craft group I belong to. The theme was 'Something Fishy' and the brief was to make a card. Now, I don't much like making cards(and the theme wouldn't be my first choice either but I had to have a go didn't I?). Obviously I do make them but for some reason I feel constrained by them. As I was wondering what to do, I hit on the idea of making something like a card with an insert, but which could be used as a little book. The lady I'm sending to makes the most beautiful little hand stitched books and although I can't reach her standard, I thought if I used some handmade paper (not by me!) and stitched the layers together, it could have a dual purpose.

I only have a seahorse stamp and some shell stamps which fit the theme so I used the seahorse as he is rather attractive and he can be grunged up very easily - most important for me! I also decided to make a seahorse charm and tag to go in the package as a little surprise - I do hope she likes them as I really didn't want to give them away once I'd made them! I had a lot of fun making these pieces and from being somewhat of a chore, they became a pleasure and that's what it's all about isn't it? If you're expecting to see cute seahorses with other fish, seaweed and shells, look away now as here's what I made:


Envelope, card/booklet (complete with scrap of paper in top right corner - sorry!) little charm and tag.

The two matting layers were made with dylusion inks and a liberal amount of water spritzing and some rock salt technique thrown in for good measure. The 'bubble' layer was stamped on to watercolour paper using distress ink to get a softer look. Mummy seahorse was stamped onto card, embossed with distress powder, coloured with distress marker and cut out. Baby seahorse was made from shrink plastic coloured on the back with a gold pen - luckily this looks similar to the green of the large seahorse for some reason.
The envelope was stamped - second generation stamp - with distress ink. Large seahorse was stamped lightly with distress, coloured with watercolour pencils and water-brush used to blend the colours. Baby seahorse is again from shrink plastic but a hole was punched before shrinking then and linen thread was wrapped around and attached to a wire hanger. Dare I say 'so cute'??
Grungy close up.






Pages stitched together using the sewing machine.









Hope you enjoyed looking at this little effort - think I might use some more shrink plastic soon as it really is fun to play with.

21 comments:

  1. Lovely piece, and great idea with stitching together. I am sure you had fun making it! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia, you have done a fabulous job on all these pieces. Seahorses and butterflies are my most fav things and your makes are stunning. A x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great card Julia...the papers look great as well as the colours, the seahorses are so cute and you even made some extra's with it...lovely! Your own sealife, with so little stamps...wow great job!
    The lady who received this will be very happy with your creations!

    Have a nice Sunday, hugs, Alie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A brilliant 'card' from a card hater, Julia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very very nice and beautiful card Julia
    Love the stamps and the colors very much.

    Greetings Janny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Julia, this is gorgeous ! And you don't make cards often ? The dylusions & salt background papers are beautiful. I use salt a lot with Watercolour & you have inspired me to try it with Dylusions too. Love your seahorses and the extra embellishments you created. Great work, have a great Sunday, Shirleyx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julia, this is a fabulous card, love the baby seahorse and yes he is cute! Beautiful colours and background layers. The added charms are a lovely idea.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes you dare say 'so cute' - he really is! And the larger one is utterly beautiful, with those gorgeous watery shades. I also love your layered background mats, providing a fab frame to the whole... Altogether a lovely "card" with added value!!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW you made a brilliant job with your limited supplies. A card couple with a fish theme wouldn't be my idea of fun so I salute you for not giving in (I would of!!).

    Great job - Sam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome texture! Love the variety of sizes. Something very heartwarming to me about seahorses..... love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all 3, what a great surprise for the recipient! That seahorse is too cute, especially the little charm, I love playing with shrink plastic too! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful card and envelope. Gorgeous creations.
    Hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous creations, great textured seahorse.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You turned something ordinary into something so special great idea with the little book! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful pieces Julia, & a great explanation as to how they were made. It was lovely see you & Sandy on Saturday, looking forward to Andy's class too!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, yes very cute ;-)
    Beautiful Julia! I adore the little seahorse hanger!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww I love your sea horse Julia :) supper background stamp too it looks familiar but I'm sure I haven't got it ;)
    Von ♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is wonderful and I love that you have given your card an additional purpose! The bubbles layer is the perfect background for your fabulous seahorses!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute cute cute! Love the bubbles and color for this cute image!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Simply beautiful... love that textured sea horse...adorable colours. Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Juliax