Saturday 2 June 2012

Faux Antique Metal. . . . . . . .

One of my most favourite places to visit is the Craft Barn in Lingfield - I know how sad that sounds but I just love going there with my sister and having a natter whilst drooling over all the products!! Perhaps even buying the odd thing or two. . . . . . . !!

They haven't run a challenge for some time so I was delighted when I saw that they had another on the go. Their design team produced some gorgeous samples based on 'faux finishes' and the challenge is to use one or more of these techniques in your project.

The challenge at The Stamp Man this week is 'Make It For A Man'. I will also show my card here as I do like to join in with their challenges when I possibly can.

One of my favourite techniques is to use metal tape from B&Q in my crafting so I chose to use the faux antique metal technique on a Father's Day card for my father in law. Luckily he doesn't look at this blog so I know it's safe to show it here. I think if my Father were still alive he would certainly have liked this card and the techniques used.

The main elements I used. When I'd put these together I decided to add another layer and some 'faux' rivets which are not featured here I'm afraid.


The completed card.

I embossed one piece of plain white card in the balloon folder and coloured it using various shades of blue Distress Ink. A second piece of card was covered with adhesive metal tape and embossed using the same folder. The metal embossed sheet was then covered with black acrylic paint, left to dry for a few minutes and then wiped off leaving residue in the crevices for an 'antique' look. Sections of the 'faux' metal sheet were then cut out to be applied later to the blue sheet.
I die cut some letters for the word 'Dad' from off cuts of the blackened 'metal' sheet.

In this image you can see the middle layer which is a sheet of music that has been coloured with  shades of Distress Ink.
At the side of the image you can see the 'faux' rivets I made from eyelets  and paper fasteners which I added for extra detail.

Before attaching the 'metal' elements' I added some embossing powder to create a halo effect on certain parts of the design. You can see it here around the word 'LO'.


25 comments:

  1. Julia I love this. So clever to create the halo effect with embossing powder. I've managed to get some of this and it will be in my next two posts. One question - which die cut set have you used for your lettering?
    Thanks for sharing your considerable talent. Hugs, Buttons x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh WOW I absolutely LOVE that metal tape! I am going to have to get some! Can you give me a clue as to what it looks like packaged so that I know where to look? I would really appreciate it! This car dis so beautiful. I'm sure your father-in-law will love it, and that your dad would have too. M x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A breathtaking piece, just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow your card is so beautiful - who knew you could create such lovely things with tape from B&Q!!! Thanks for sharing it with us all X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your faux metal embellishments (especially that balloon) and they make a wonderful card. Bet your father in law will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julia, this is gorgeous, I am loving your faux metal technique!! I have that embossing folder but it sure never looked this good. You have done an amazing job.......A x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mouth open wide that's FAB !!!
    Von x♥x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was so struck by your card I forgot to congratulate you on your win :)
    Von x♥x

    ReplyDelete
  10. For someone who doesn't like making mens cards you sure have done a fine job here. Are you converted to cogs and stuff now? BJ

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Julia, thanks for the kind comments you left on my blog. And thank you for becoming my newest follower!! Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, thanks for you kind comment on my card...This is amazing; the effect looks so cool.
    I just love it !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very lovely card. The aged metail details are gorgeous, the composition and the colours you choose, too!

    Thanks for joining us at CraftBarn :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Julia, I'm trying to find some time today to catch up on my commenting, I'm so behind! Your metal embossing is fabulous and thank you for explaining your technique. Congrats on your Artful Times win too. Hope you're enjoying the holiday weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your father's day card is outstanding! Wow he will be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Julia, I was drawn over here by Buttons blog as she'd done some flowers inspired by your gorgeous insulating tape flowers which I will definitely be trying as I have some.
    Now following you too.
    Hugs, Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow this is fab and I'm sure your FIL will love it as much as I do and congratulations on winning the artful times challege x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic card, beautiful faux metal work
    Thanks for entering our challenge
    Izzy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Spectacular! Love the way you used that EF. I just used it myself but on kraft glassine... your metal is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Julia, Fabulous card, Love the way you have used the 'metal' with the EF. Must try some of this tape.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oooh, thats a fabulous card! I haven't made my dads Fathers Day card yet so thanks for the inspiration. I have some metal tape from the hardware store that I'm going to try your technique on. I suspect its the same thing or at least the American equivalent. I also appreciate you noting that you used the acrylic paint to get the aged look...I tried inks on some other metal pieces I die cut and it just kept rubbing off. So frustrating! :) Silly me, anyways. Found you through BJ(http://ccraftcorner.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/woyww-157-atc-city.html) and woyww and I'm glad I did!:) Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ohh I love the way you've used that metal tape, I'm a big fan of it and have used it in several projects but not as lovely as yours great work x

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a fabulous effect, a really lovely card.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Juliax